The Gift of Magi
1. How much has Della put aside for mont hs?
a. one dollar & eighty cents. b. hundred and eighty seven cents.
c. two dollars d. eight seven cents
2. Why did Della put her money aside?
a. to buy a gift for herself b. to buy a gift for her spouse.
c. to buy gift for newborn children d .to live happily with her husband
3. Where does Della live?
a. in a big nice house b. in a furnished small room
c. whit her parents d. in a small nice house
4. How much has Mr. James Dillingham Young been paid when his name was placed near the front door?
a. $1.87 a week b. a dollar a week
c. 20 dollars a week d. 30 dollars a week
5. The James Dillingham Young were proud of two things. What are they?
a. the watch & the combs b. the watch & the chain
c. the watch & the chain d. the watch and Della’s hair
6. From where did Jim have his golden watch?
a. he inherited it b. he sold it to get the money to buy the combs
c. his mother gave it to him d. he bought it
7. What’s the colour of Della’s hair?
a. pretty black b. brown c. yellow d. white
8. What does Della look like?
a. she is quite fat b. she is quite thin
c. she is an ugly d. she is a normal woman
9. Who are the Magi?
a. they are wise men b. they are wise women
c. they are normal people d. they are wise children
10. Who has bought Della’s hair?
a. Mr. Sofronie b. Mrs. Sofronie c. Miss. Sofronie
d. all the above options are correct.
1. The character Feathertop is …
a. a young boy b. a scarecrow c. Mother Rigby d. an important man
2. This story begins in which season?
a. Winter b. Spring c. Summer d. Autumn
3. Feathertop gets his name from…
a. the feather in his hat b. his hairstyle that looks like a bird
c. his father’s name d. how good he is at scaring birds
4. What happens after Feathertop smashes his pipe?
a. He buys a new one b. He falls in love with Mother Rigby
c. He is not longer a man d. He leaves Mother Rigby’s house
5. Mother Rigby has “strange powers”. In the story, they call her a …
a. magician b. queen
c. doctor d. witch
6. Why is Feathertop’s pipe important?
a. Smoking gives him life b. He loves to smoke
c. The pipe is Mother Rigby’s d. It keeps the birds away
7. Why does Mother Rigby give Feathertop money?
a.To buy bread b. To marry the girl he likes
c. To be important, like other men d. To give to the little boy
8. Why does Mother Rigby want to make “something that looks like a man”?
a. To scare the birds away from her corn
b. To not be so lonely
c. To show off at the village fair
d. To confuse her neighbours
9. Mother Rigby makes a scarecrow from an object, her magic…
a. feather b. pipe c. pumpkin d. broomstick
10. What makes Feathertop realize that he can’t pretend to be something he is not?
a. He falls in love b. A shopkeeper gives him a job
c. A little boy says Feathertop’s face is a pumpkin
d. Mother Rigby creates a magic spell.
A handful of Dates By El-Teib Saleh
1- The main character in “ A handful of dates” is
a- the dates sellers.
b- the dates buyers.
c- the boy.
d- the grandfather
2- A typical setting for “ A handful of Dates” is
a- Sothern Sudan.
b- Western Sudan.
c- Eastern Sudan.
d- Northern Sudan.
3- Unlike the other boys of the village, the boy loves to go to mosque for learning because he
a- feels bored at home.
b- quick in keeping Koran by heart.
c- the mosque is close to his home.
d- he loves his teacher.
4- The main theme of the story can be
5- At the end of the story “ A handful of Dates” the boy’s feeling towards his grandfather has
a- become stronger.
b- remained the same.
c- changed dramatically.
d- become weaker.
6- “ A handful of Dates “ was written by
a- Al-Teib Saleh.
b- Najeeb Mahfooz.
c- W. Shakespeare.
d- A boy.
7- “Masood” is represented in “A handful of Dates” as
a- a cruel person.
b- a victim.
c- a hero.
d- a greedy man.
8- “The boy put his finger into his throat and spewed up the dates” because
a- he did not like dates.
b- he had stomachache.
c- he hated his grandfather’s greediness.
d- He hated Masood.
9-“ Don’t cut the heart of the palm”. The statement above reveals
a- Masood’s ignorance of language use.
b- Masood’s attachment to palm tress.
c- Masood’s greediness.
d- Masood’s feeling towards the grandfather
10 The grandfather thinks that women are
b- Sources of happiness
c- drivers of poverty d- dear friends.